Petroleum Marketing Practices Act
§ 2804. Notification of termination or nonrenewal of franchise relationship
- (a) General requirements applicable to franchisor
Prior to termination of any franchise or nonrenewal of any franchise relationship, the franchisor shall furnish notification of such termination or such nonrenewal to the franchisee who is a party to such franchise or such franchise relationship -
- (1) in the manner described in subsection (c) of this section; and
- (2) except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, not less than 90 days prior to the date on which such termination or nonrenewal takes effect.
- (b) Additional requirements applicable to franchisor
- (1) In circumstances in which it would not be reasonable for the franchisor to furnish notification, not less than 90 days prior to the date on which termination or nonrenewal takes effect, as required by subsection (a)(2) of this section -
- (A) such franchisor shall furnish notification to the franchisee affected thereby on the earliest date on which furnishing of such notification is reasonably practicable; and
- (B) in the case of leased marketing premises, such franchisor -
- (i) may not establish a new franchise relationship with respect to such premises before the expiration of the 30-day period which begins -
- (I) on the date notification was posted or personally delivered, or
- (II) if later, on the date on which such termination or nonrenewal takes effect; and
- (ii) may, if permitted to do so by the franchise agreement, repossess such premises and, in circumstances under which it would be reasonable to do so, operate such premises through employees or agents.
- (2) In the case of any termination of any franchise or any nonrenewal of any franchise relationship pursuant to the provisions of section 2802(b)(2)(E) of this title or section 2803(c)(2) of this title, the franchisor shall -
- (A) furnish notification to the franchisee not less than 180 days prior to the date on which such termination or nonrenewal takes effect; and
- (B) promptly provide a copy of such notification, together with a plan describing the schedule and conditions under which the franchisor will withdraw from the marketing of motor fuel through retail outlets in the relevant geographic area, to the Governor of each State which contains a portion of such area.
- (c) Manner and form of notification
Notification under this section -
- (1) shall be in writing;
- (2) shall be posted by certified mail or personally delivered to the franchisee; and
- (3) shall contain -
- (A) a statement of intention to terminate the franchise or not to renew the franchise relationship, together with the reasons therefor;
- (B) the date on which such termination or nonrenewal takes effect; and
- (C) the summary statement prepared under subsection (d) of this section.
- (d) Preparation, publication, etc., of statutory summaries
- (1) Not later than 30 days after June 19, 1978, the Secretary of Energy shall prepare and publish in the Federal Register a simple and concise summary of the provisions of this subchapter, including a statement of the respective responsibilities of, and the remedies and relief available to, any franchisor and franchisee under this subchapter.
- (2) In the case of summaries required to be furnished under the provisions of section 2802(b)(2)(D) of this title or subsection (c)(3)(C) of this section before the date of publication of such summary in the Federal Register, such summary may be furnished not later than 5 days after it is so published rather than at the time required under such provisions.
Copyright © 2000 - 2007 Petroleum Marketing Law Internet Site. All Rights Reserved. Legal notice.